These NBA Playoffs are insane! The Rockets have me all kinds of nervous, and LeBron is being…well LeBron. Can’t wait to see who makes it to the Finals. I, of course, am pulling for a Houston/Cleveland Final. I’m not ready for basketball to be over in Houston yet – but with the NBA Finals approaching, so is the end of the school year and it has been a long one – and I mean, LONG. So that I AM looking forward to. It’s time for a well-deserved 2-month break. Before anyone says teachers have it easy, I dare you to try a week in the classroom. ANYWHO. Between Hurricane Harvey taking out the first three weeks of school, and an ice storm cutting the first week of the Spring semester, I am ready to shut the door on this school year. Not only am I looking forward to relaxing and getting some sort of workout routine back, I’m ready to tackle my list of things I want to do. So here is my Summer To Do List. Some things I haven’t done in a long time, or are brand new to me. Torchy’s Party Deck at Minute Maid Park? Count me in!
- Kayaking at Discovery Green: Downtown Houston has its own charm and I have yet to hang out down there unless I’m going to Minute Maid, Toyota Center or another concert or show. You would think that being from the area I would know the ins and outs, but really, I don’t.
- Golden Nugget Lake Charles: I hear the pool is a lot of fun, and the food is good.
- Ditch Starbucks – and check out a new coffee shop
- (Re)Start BBG: Kayla Itsines is having a workout here in Houston! Yes, Kayla herself will be at NRG Center on June 3rd and it’s free! Check the @sweat Instagram account for details on how to register.
- Read TWO New York Times Best Sellers: My reading has been very limited in the past couple of years. The only books I have read were either for grad school or teaching purposes. I used to read ALL the time – I got that trait from my dad. I need to start reading again. Sound off on your recommendations in the comments, please!
- Concert in the Woodlands: Okay this is something I have done multiple times, but I feel like summer isn’t complete without a concert at Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavillion. It’s always fun sitting on the lawn for a concert.
- Miller Outdoor Theater: Miller Outdoor always has something going on. Want to gather some friends for a picnic.
- Day Trip to Pleasure Pier in Galveston
- Float Pool Bar in Galveston
- Kemah Boardwalk
- Purge my Makeup Bags: I have probably fifteen nude lipsticks…I don’t even wear them all…
- Torchy’s Party Deck at Minute Maid
- Organize My Closet: This one makes me laugh…it’s always a summer item.
- Try New Restaurants: Moxie’s Grill and Bar is at the top of the list, in addition to Dunlavy (yes I know I’ve never been), Caracol, Grace’s, Hungry, Prohibition and a slew of others. I know none of these are exactly new. I just haven’t checked them out.
- Snooze for Brunch: Okay everyone in their mom (including mine) has been here but me.
- Hike all of Brazos River Park: Willie will love me forever. That pup can walk for hours.
- Visit a Museum
- Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom – It comes out June 22nd. I’ll have this one checked off on…June 22nd.
- Day Trip to San Antonio: I want an Adult Trip to Six Flags (did you know they have bars there now?) and some chips and salsa, and margaritas…everything I ever do points to food…
- Cooking Class at Sur La Table: Okay this I have never done, but I have wanted to for so long. If you wanna join me, let me know in the comments.
- Run a 5K: I feel like there are tons of fun runs in the city during the summer. I haven’t done a race since the Spartan last year. Time for another test…but can it not be 100* out when I actually do it?
This list may seem short, but I also have three trips planned: LA, New York (per usual) and Chicago for Create & Cultivate. Come one Summer, I’m ready for you! Be sure you are following along on Instagram @accordingtodk ! Watch my IG Story, all of the good stuff is in there.